There is Compensation Available for an Oil Rig Injury

If you have sustained an oil rig injury, there is some good news for you. There are laws that exist, which protect injured workers and allow them to obtain compensation for their injuries. Depending on the type of job you have, you may be entitled to a significant amount of money, especially if negligence was involved.

The Jones Act is a federal law that protects the rights of injured seamen. To qualify for compensation under this law, you must be classified as a seaman, which is basically someone who works on a vessel or is assigned to a fleet of vessels for his employer. Movable or jack-up drilling rigs are considered vessels, so if you work on one of these types of rigs, you should be considered a seaman. If you work on a fixed platform, you are not classified as a seaman, but there are other laws that protect you.

Under the Jones Act, you can pursue compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses, mental anguish and disfigurement. This compensation is generally available when the vessel owner, employer, co-workers, operators or officers were negligent in some way, which led to your maritime injuries.